可爱的国人啊

[复制链接]
查看: 1907   回复: 12
发表于 2010-7-1 00:56:04 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
这个文章很有趣 是一个老外的亲身经历  有兴趣的可以翻译下大概意思
Originally I told this story as an amusing anecdote to friend, but last week, following a conversation, I realized this could actually be helpful to my readers.

A few months ago I was promoting a lot of auto insurance offers. Now, these usually have a good payout, but in terms of PPC are extremely competitive and consequently, very expensive. It is really hard to make a profit, but I was managing. However, I was constantly on the lookout for quality – yet cheap – traffic sources.

At the time I was just starting to explore Media Buys. I heard of an network that offers this service (hint: its name starts with “Ad..”) ;) ), however, when I actually went to register, I got confused and registered to another network that does the same thing, but isn’t nearly as good. But I didn’t know this at the time. The names were just very similar.

The site required that I give them, I think, about $25, and showed me many sites divided according to niches with traffic statistics. The idea was that you can select a site, and place a banner/ad for a specified amount of time for a price. I picked five sites, and placed an ad to my auto-insurance offer. All seemed like very appropriate sites and nothing looked out of the ordinary. I paid $1 for each, and the ad was supposed to run for a single day on every one of those sites.

The next day I got the statistics:

1. Two of the websites didn’t send me even a single visitor. Clearly the site’s statistics were simply fraudulent (I think each claimed 7,000 unique visitors a day or something like that)
   2. Two of the websites sent me two visitors, none converted. Again, fraudulent statistics.
   3. One site sent me a pretty good number of visitors – I think around 50. Normally I’d have to pay quite a lot to get 50 clicks using PPC for Auto Insurance offers! In Google Adwords this would literally cost me hundreds of dollars! The odd thing was that none of them converted, and I was very familiar with this offer – it normally converted very, very well.

The strange thing is that that one site kept sending me traffic the next day. I didn’t pay an additional dollar, but it still sent me traffic. Awesome, I thought. Again, the numbers were not bad at all, but 0 conversions. After two days this was starting to look suspicious. I examined the IPs and they were all very different – so I didn’t think it’s the same guy clicking my ad again and again.

The next day my ad was still running. I have no idea what the guy was thinking, but I didn’t mind. Again, decent traffic, zero conversions. Ok, now I started getting really suspicious. I sent him an email requesting that the ad be redirected to one of my own sites. I assumed he’d probably cancel the ad (reminder: I paid $1 for a single day! That’s it!) but this was simply too suspicious to continue. To my surprise, he agreed. No further charges.

The next day I started getting the same traffic to my site and then I discovered what was going on. All the traffic was coming from Asia. 95% from China and some from Singapore and Vietnam. Well, that explains why I got zero conversions – the offer was for US traffic only.

The thing is I really couldn’t guess this is what I’d get from the site – it looked perfectly American to me. And nowhere did the network or the site imply it may be a target for Asian visitors mainly (it just wasn’t mentioned anywhere, and I, naively, didn’t suspect anything – I still believed I’m using a good network at the time).

At this point I thought: well, the traffic is coming from whatever reason, I don’t mind. Maybe they’ll buy something? Maybe they’ll see something they like in the ads? Who cares, free traffic.

And the traffic kept coming… there were zero conversions but I definitely got some ad revenue which immediately made up for the $1 original cost.

This lasted for about 1-2 weeks until one day, some visitor went and clicked on all the ads on my site. 19. I heard Google likes banning AdSense accounts for exactly this type of suspicious activity, so decided not to risk it. I went to their site, there was an option “report suspicious activity”, I sent: “I don’t know who, someone clicked on all my ads, this is not me, feel free to take the income back, I don’t want it, kind, benevolent, great Google!” (well, I didn’t phrase it exactly like that, but that was the general spirit of my letter).

I got no response from Google – which is typical, maybe 10% of the emails I sent them got a response, and even those were usually automated, and neither was my account banned, so I figured – good, end of story.

However, I noticed something peculiar – that my ad revenue from all my sites significantly dropped. It was then I discovered what ’smart pricing’ means. It means that for 1 to 4 weeks, your entire AdSense account (and you are not allowed to have more than one) will get about a tenth of its revenue because Google suspects your traffic sources. Highly unfair – why should it affect my other sites!?

This was starting to become a problem. I didn’t want to just ask the person to remove the ad (free traffic, still), so I sent him an email asking him to redirect the traffic to another one of my sites (my book site), one which doesn’t have any ads. I figured, at least there the visitors can’t do any damage. If they buy something, great, if they don’t – I don’t mind. Clearly this traffic is not stopping any time soon.

This continued for a few more weeks (again, I remind you: I paid $1 for all this!). And then during a lunch with a friend he gave me an idea I can’t say is anything less than genius. “Why don’t you join a Chinese affiliate network?”. What a smart idea. Absolutely brilliant!

I started looking for some, and indeed found a couple. Several were all in Chinese, so I just couldn’t join them (even though I did guess what the various boxes represent), but one was not. So I joined (they were a bit baffled and interviewed me why I would want to do so). After being accepted, I applied to everything which I saw. Of course, half rejected me (why would a jewelry advertiser want to advertise on a book site?) but a surprising number approved me.

I started putting a few banners in Chinese in one page in my site, which must’ve looked pretty odd to my usual visitors, but noticed that the visitors almost never visit that page. The problem was that I didn’t want to overdo it because really it was making my site look odd. It’s a niche site, so I knew people would still visit it because of the content, but I didn’t to go to far… even with a just few banners my site was looking too weird for my taste.

So then I thought of a really good idea. I put all these banners on one page and made it hidden, so you could only access it using a direct link. Then I sent yet another email to the site owner and asked him to direct his traffic to that specific page. Perfect, no? Best of both worlds: it doesn’t affect my site, and I get good traffic to the one specific page.

After two days the traffic stopped. I think the person realized what I was doing and decided he’s not going to give me free traffic anymore. I must’ve received about 2 months of traffic for that $1 I paid. I decided I’m not renewing this ad anymore (he’ll probably charge me daily now). And that’s where things are left. Still have a hidden page filled with banners in Chinese.

I think this is an amusing story. First, because why would I get so much traffic for so little? Second, because clearly the traffic was not what I thought it would be. Later the auto insurance offer was canceled because someone was sending it “problematic traffic”, I quickly contacted my affiliate manager and inquired – this wasn’t me, my traffic was a drop in the bucket of the traffic they got, and I only sent it for 3 days. However, just the thought that I could have endangered my relationship with that network unwittingly wasn’t something I found pleasant.

Let this be a lesson to you all ;) Since then I’ve learned much on gauging the quality of traffic and am significantly more careful. But just thinking about this makes me laugh about this weird scenario and how naive I was back then with regards to Media Buys.

出处:http://www.industryreview.org/tag/affiliate-manager
发表于 2010-7-1 02:18:16 | 显示全部楼层
E文的太长了  没有耐心看下去
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-7-1 08:18:09 | 显示全部楼层
不好意思,贴上一直接google翻译版,E文看着有点累。。大概意思知道一下就行了可爱的国人啊
本来我作为一个有趣的故事告诉给朋友这个故事,但上周,经过交谈,我意识到这实际上可能是有帮助的我的读者。

几个月前,我正在推动汽车保险提供了很多。现在,这些通常有一个良好的支出,但在PPC的条件是竞争非常激烈,因此,非常昂贵。这实在是很难赚钱,但我的管理。不过,我经常是在质量了望 - 然而低价 - 流量来源。

当时,我刚开始探索媒体购买。我听说过一个网络,提供这项服务(提示:它的名字与“广告..开始”);)),但是,当我真正去登记,我很困惑,并注册到另一个网络,做同样的事情,但是不是几乎一样好。但我不知道当时这一点。的名字,只是很相似。

该网站要求我给他们,我认为,约25元,并给我看了很多网站分为按交通统计利基。当时的想法是,你可以选择一个站点,并放置一个旗帜/一指定时间的广告价格。我拿起五个地点,并把我的广告汽车保险报价。一切似乎非常合适的地点和喜欢看什么与众不同。我付了每1美元,这则广告是应该的每一天运行在这些网站之一。

第二天,我得到的统计数字:

1。该网站没有派我的两个连一个游客。显然,网站的统计数据只是欺骗(我认为每个声称7,000天或类似的一些独特的访客)
   2。该网站的两名旅客送我两个,没有转换。同样,欺诈统计数字。
   3。一个网站给我一个很好的游客数量 - 我想约50。一般情况下我必须付出相当多获得50人次使用汽车保险的PPC优惠!在google的Adwords这简直让我损失几百美元!奇怪的是,他们没有转换,我是很熟悉这个提议 - 它通常转换非常,非常好。

但奇怪的是,一个网站的流量一直送我第二天。我没有支付额外的美元,但它仍然给我的交通。真棒,我想。同样,数字是不差,但0的转换。两天后,这是开始寻找可疑。我检查了IP和他们都非常不同 - 所以我不认为这是同一个人点击广告一次又一次。

第二天,我的广告仍然在运行。我不知道在想什么的家伙,但我并不介意。同样,体面的交通,零转换。好了,现在我开始变得非常可疑。我向他发出一封电子邮件,要求该广告被重定向到我自己的网站之一。我认为他很可能就会取消广告(提醒:我付了一天1元!就是这样!),但是这实在太可疑继续。令我吃惊的是,他同意了。没有进一步的费用。

第二天,我开始得到同样的流量,我的网站,然后我发现是怎么回事。所有的流量来自亚洲。 95%来自中国和新加坡和越南的一些。嗯,这解释了为什么我得到了零转换 - 报价仅为美国的交通。

事情是我真的无法猜测这是我从网站上获取 - 这看起来完全美国给我。而无处没有网络或网站暗示它可能是一个主要(它只是没有提及任何国家游客的目标,而我,天真地,没有怀疑的话 - 我相信我仍然在使用一个好的网络时间)。

在这一点上我想:好,交通是由什么原因来,我不介意。也许他们会买什么?也许他们会看到一些他们喜欢的广告?谁在乎,免费交通。

而未来的交通保持零转换...有,但我肯定有一些广告收入,立即为原始成本高达1美元。

这持续了大约1-2个星期,直到有一天,一些游客前往,并在所有的广告点击我的网站。 19。我喜欢听到google禁止用于正是这种类型的AdSense帐户的可疑活动,所以决定不冒这个险。我去他们的网站上,有一个选项“报告可疑活动”,我发出:“我不知道是谁,我的广告点击所有的人,这不是我,随时采取收入回来,我不吨想要的,善良,仁慈,伟大的google!“(当然,我没有一句是完全一样,但是那是我的信总的精神)。

我有没有从google的反应 - 这是典型的,也许10%的人发送的电子邮件我得到了响应,甚至那些通常是自动的,也不是我的帐户被禁止,所以我想通 - 好,故事的结局。

不过,我发现一个奇怪 - 我从我所有的网站广告收入大幅下降。就在那时我发现了'智能定价'的手段。这意味着1至4周,您的整个AdSense帐户(你不能有一个以上的)将获得的收入约十因为google涉嫌点击量的来源。极不公平 - 为什么要对我的其他网站!?

这是开始成为一个问题。我不想只是要求删除的广告人(免费交通,仍然),所以我向他发出一封电子邮件,要求他重定向流量到我的另一个网站(我的书网站)一,一不有任何广告。我想,至少有访客不能做任何损害。如果他们买的东西,伟大的,如果他们不 - 我不介意。显然,这种通信是在短期内不会停止。

这几个星期(再继续,我要提醒你:我付了所有这1元!)。然后在与一位朋友共进午餐,他给了我一个想法,我不能说什么事情比天才少。 “你为什么不加入中国子公司网络?”。什么是聪明的主意。绝对精彩!

我开始有些看起来,确实发现一对夫妇。有几个人在中国所有,因此我只是不能加入他们(即使我猜的各种盒子代表),但情况并非如此。所以我加入了(他们有点困惑,采访我,为什么我会想这样做)。被接受后,我申请到我所看见的一切。当然,我拒绝了一半(为什么会一珠宝广告客户想在一本书的网站刊登广告吗?),但相当一部分人认可我。

我开始把一些在一个页面中的横幅在我的网站,其中意有所指看起来非常奇怪我平时的游客,但注意到,参观者几乎从不访问该网页。问题是,我不想过分,因为它实在是让我的网站看多。这是一个利基的网站,所以我知道人仍是络绎不绝,因为它的内容,但我没有去远...即使只是小横幅我的网站一直在寻找我的口味太奇怪。

所以,当时我想到了一个非常好的主意。我把所有这些在一个页面上的横幅,并使其隐藏的,所以你只能访问它使用的是直接的联系。然后我又发了一份电子邮件给网站的所有者,并要求他向自己的流量的特定网页。完美,不是吗?两全其美的:它不会影响我的网站,我也得到良好的交通一个特定的网页。

经过两天的交通停止。我觉得人意识到我在做什么,并决定他不会给我免费的流量了。我大概已经收到约2个月的交通是我付1美元。我决定我不能再延续此广告(他很可能会负责我现在每天)。而这东西在哪里了。还有一个隐藏的页面,在中国横幅填补。

我觉得这是一个有趣的故事。首先,因为为什么我会得到这么少的交通太拥挤?其次,因为清楚的交通不是我想象的要。后来,汽车保险报价被取消,因为有人将它发送“交通问题”,我很快就联络我的子公司的经理,并询问 - 这不是我,我的流量是在他们到达的交通杯水车薪,而我只派它为3天。然而,只是我能危及我与该网络关系的思想是不是我无意中发现宜人。

这是一个让你都上了一课,自那以后)我学到了很多关于衡量质量,交通很明显更加谨慎。只是想到这让我笑对这个奇怪的情况下,如何天真我回来再与问候媒体购买。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-7-1 08:37:50 | 显示全部楼层
看了GG翻译的,还是有点头大
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-7-1 09:45:12 | 显示全部楼层
可爱的国人啊google机器翻译和狗啃的似的
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-7-1 09:55:02 | 显示全部楼层
第二天,我开始得到同样的流量,我的网站,然后我发现是怎么回事。所有的流量来自亚洲。 95%来自中国和新加坡和越南的一些。嗯,这解释了为什么我得到了零转换 - 报价仅为美国的交通。可爱的国人啊
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-7-1 10:16:28 | 显示全部楼层
发另一个在线翻译版本。

本来我对这个故事作为一个有趣轶事,朋友,但上周,在谈话中,我认识到,这其实是有助于我国读者。 几个月前,我是促进了很多汽车保险提供。 现在,这些通常有一个好的支付,但在PPC是极具竞争力,因此,十分昂贵。 这是很难赚钱,但我是管理。 不过,我一直在监视质量--但廉价-交通来源。 当时我刚开始探索媒体购买。 我听到的一个网络,提供这项服务(提示:它的名字从".");)),但是,当我是去登记,我得到了混乱和注册到另一个网络,并同样的事情,但是不是很近。 但我不知道这一点时间。 的名字很相似。 网站所需,我给他们,我认为,大约25元,并显示出很多地方我按市场统计与交通。 的想法是,你可以选择一个网站,一面旗帜/特在一定时间的价格。 我选择五个地点,并将一个特对我国汽车保险。 似乎一切都要非常适当的地点和没有从普通。 我付一元,特应为单一天的每一个站点。 下一天我得到的统计数字:1。 两个网站并没有给我一个参观者。 显然,网站的统计数字只是欺诈(我想每一个声称7000独特游客一天或类似的东西,)2。 两个网站给我两个旅客,没有转换。 再次,欺诈统计。 3. 一个网站给我一个不错的参观人数--我认为有50人左右。 通常我D要付出很多,得到50点击使用PPC汽车保险提供了! 在Google AdWords这实际上我花数百元! 奇怪的是,他们没有转换,和我是很熟悉这一提议--它通常转换非常、非常好。 奇怪的是,这一网站不断派我交通的下一天。 我从来没付出额外元,但它仍然派我交通。 可怕,我想。 再次,这是不差,但0转换。 在这两天开始研究可疑。 我审查了新闻通讯社和他们都很不同,所以我从来没想那么同一条龙击我特再次发生。 第二天我特仍然运行。 我不知道对方是思想,但我从来没考虑。 再次,体面交通,0转换。 “确定”,现在我开始变得很可疑。 我送他一个电子邮件要求,特重定向到我的一个工地。 我认为他的可能取消特(提醒:我付$1,一天! 就这样! ),但这只是太可疑继续下去。 我感到很奇怪,他同意。 没有进一步指控。 下一天,我开始拿一样交通我的网站,然后我就发现了什么事。 所有的交通是来自亚洲。 95%来自中国和一些来自新加坡和越南。 这就是为什么我0转换-提供我们交通。 这件事是我真有点不敢相信这是我的d从该网站--它看上去很美,我。 和其他地方的网络或网站意味着它可能是一个目标的亚洲游客主要(它只是因素没提到任何地方,我,天真地,并没有怀疑任何-我仍然认为我的米使用一个好的网络时间)。 在这一点我想,交通是来自什么原因,我不介意。 也许他们的LL买东西呢? 也许他们的LL看到他们像广告? 谁会、免费交通。 和交通保持coming…有0转换,但我一定有一些特收入,立即为$1原先的费用。 这种持续了大约1-2个星期,直到有一天,一些游客到打开所有的广告在我的网站。 19。 我听到Google adsense喜欢禁止占正是这种类型的可疑活动,因此决定不向风险。 我去他们的网站,有一个选项"可疑活动",我派了:“我不知道,有人打开我所有广告,这不是我,觉得自由的收入后,我不想要,种、慈善、大Google! "(我从来没一句,完全一样,但这是一般精神,我的信)。 我没有回应Google--这是典型的,也许10%的电子邮件我向他们发出了一个反应,甚至是一般自动化,这些都是我的帐户被禁止,所以我想--好的,完的故事。 不过,我注意到一些特殊-,我的广告收入从所有我站大大减少了。 当时我发现什么的智能定价的手段。 这意味着,1至4周,你的整个adsense帐户(和你不可以有多个)将获得约十分之一的收入,因为Google怀疑你的交通来源。 非常不公平--为什么
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-7-1 11:59:20 | 显示全部楼层
说这孩子1刀得到了无数的中国免费流量,对于他的US offer没有转化率,而且造成adsense因为流量质量被’smart pricing’影响收入锐减,弄了个中国联盟的广告挂上去,结果中国流量被停了。

评分

参与人数 1T币 +1 收起 理由
oceanxwzj + 1 翻译不错

查看全部评分

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-7-1 12:15:48 | 显示全部楼层
7# 525252

你使用的是哪个在线翻译平台,这个比google的好多了
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-7-1 14:43:58 | 显示全部楼层