[SEO] 136 million competition

[复制链接]
查看: 348   回复: 14
发表于 2012-5-24 00:39:20 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
I just got a potential client. I think he wants to rank in a 1 word kw that has 136 million competition.

I've always done low competitin kws, any advice on how to attack this? Although the task looks daunting but i love the challenge 136 million competition
 楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:39:28 | 显示全部楼层
lots and lots of back links, create some great articles and fresh new content. Do this again and again and again. Also make sure the site has some nice keyword density and loads fairly fast. Also iP address in the country you are ranking for. Make sure you get the articles indexed.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:39:47 | 显示全部楼层
i honestly dont giv a shit about the amount of supposed competition that you think you have from the various methods of looking it up.... Just go for it. I have never turned down an seo challenge.... provided you hav the time (atleast 6-12 months for highly competative terms) then do it. I never turn down a challenge and neither should you. Just make sure you include 'we cannot guarantee results and make no guarantees' in your contract and your fine.... just make sure you do actually try. You should be charging low to mid xxxx a month for that sorta stuff though 136 million competition

Just do the exact same you do for your own sites 136 million competition start slow, build some content and basic links and some web 2.0s. Leave for a month or so and build again. Leave another month, etc etc. Oh and AMR has recently pwnd my results so giv that a shot
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:39:56 | 显示全部楼层
I assume by competition you mean the results number google shows you ? ( either broad,match ot eaxact ) - That number has nothing to do with how difficult it will be to rank for a kw.

I.e. kw: :" pool " shows "237,000,000 results" ( broad ) but kw: " pool pumps " shows "760,000 results " ( broad ) - but I can guarantee you it'll be harder to rank for the second term simply because there your competition will more focused and better optimized for that term.

The " results competition " number is great if you want to sell ebooks or some kind of WF special. Another analogy would be : Let's assume you enter a marathon race - you really don't care about how many other runners are with you in the field. A local race where where you run with only 10 other people that happen to train for the olympics will be much harder than a race for a charity event with 25 thousand runners.

All I ever care about is the first 10 results - how optimized are they ? ( on page - off page )

cheers

Michael
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:40:04 | 显示全部楼层
Yea agreed with mkane why don't you give us some more info. Like what vertical is it in, what are the top 10 sites like age, pr, link and title wise?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:40:13 | 显示全部楼层
thanx all for the advice! i really love this forum136 million competition
ok medway, the top site is PR3 with 14 indexed pages on google, and with 800bls.
the highest PR in top 10 is PR6,rank number 7, with abt 8k indexed pages, and 100k bls.
my client's site is nowhere near rank 1000. thats like 100 pages away,lol.
I'm thinking
Articles -> Ezine ->AMR->Backlinker
Paid Press Release -> Baclinker
Senuke -> Backlinker higher PR Links
RSS Submitter
Thikin of subscribing to SerpAssist.

Advices pls?

thanx
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:40:22 | 显示全部楼层
That should tell you that in that particular vertical it might not be all about # of backlinks ( I know, probably the wrong forum to bring this up 136 million competition )

PR is irrelevant ( I know another heresy ) take a look at your competitors :

- anchor text distribution
- # of referring domains
- TLDs distribution ( i.e. .com. or.etc )
- link distribution ( i.e. home page - inner pages etc )
- linking IPs

At this point impossible to tell if that'll do it or not. If your competitors have a really strong backlink profile , you can do that all day long without getting anywhere
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:40:31 | 显示全部楼层
- anchor text distribution - varies, but can see it targets a few
- # of referring domains - quite alot
- TLDs distribution ( i.e. .com. or.etc ) - mostly .com
- link distribution ( i.e. home page - inner pages etc ) - bulk is to main domain, 30 out of 800 is distributed
- linking IPs - how do you find out abt this?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:40:40 | 显示全部楼层
good options to get a pretty complete view of ones link profile are :

majestic seo - paid - but a basic account ( limited number of queries ) is only $10/month or so

Raven SEO tool - paid

Seomoz opensiteexplorer - free version will only give you limited data - but might be good enough

If you want to get fancy look at ontolo ( steep learning curve - at least for me 136 million competition ( Holzkopf ) ) - very helpful to filter out strongest links
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:40:51 | 显示全部楼层
Correction.. he wants to rank on 1 word keyword that has 20 competitors. Search google and look at the 1st 20 results.. those are your competitors. Go through each of them and based on their own metrics, decide for yourself what resources will be required to out perform them. All this millions competition stuff is all BS. Lucky for you, your client sees the millions, thus that gives some idea of what you should charge.

On a side note, if this guy is looking for a one word placement, you better get your payment upfront and have ironclad terms of service that clearly states HE choose the word, and thus any resulting traffic or not has nothing to do with what you do. Here is what will happen otherwise. By the time you reach the TOP 5 .. he is going to be watching his traffic and sales to see whats happening. If he is seeing nothing or not what he thought it would produce, then you will see him start to vacillate on your service and possibly even ditch you at that point. Consider reviewing with him the meaning of converting keywords. Those sometimes can be less competitive as well. If not though, like I said, make sure you have him in the pay to play program and nothing else.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:41:13 | 显示全部楼层
It does help us get a bit better idea of his comp though. Some authority domains with high pr inner pages will rank without much backlinks just from the pr, in that case they can be beaten fairly easy compared to someone with a lower pr but high amount of targeted backlinks.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:41:31 | 显示全部楼层
Are these backlink counts for the page or domain as a whole? Same with pr?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:41:48 | 显示全部楼层
IMHO Page Rank has become less and less of a reliable proxy for domain authority. Plus I haven't seen a system wide Page Rank update in ages
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:41:54 | 显示全部楼层
Possibly, but if you look at the top 10 and its all pr6 or above that's generally still in indication of some competition as opposed to all pr0 sites. PR certainly isnt the end all be all but I wouldn't completely discount it.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-5-24 00:42:06 | 显示全部楼层
Don't forget blekko, do a search for a domain and add /links or /seo to the query to start ;)

Of course yahoo site explorer gives a lot of data, you can use linkdiagnosis.com or seospyglass to zoom in to important data 136 million competition
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则